Servers for Sunday, May 27:
- Celebrant: The Rev. Carol A. Mader
- Organist: Alice Van Wambeke
- Acolyte: Wendy Arntson (June 3: Diane Dues)
- Reader: Janet Cook (June 3: Jack Frost)
- Ushers: Janet Cook, Beth Yakel (June 3: Jerry Brand, Julie Lowery)
- Altar Guild: Robin Meloche, Lynne Slager
- Coffee Hour: Sandy and John Hansen (June 3: Chris Cole)
- Sunday, May 27:
Holy Eucharist, with nursery, 9:30am
Children’s Faith Formation, Coffee Hour
- Monday, May 28:
Overeaters Anonymous, Library, 6pm
- Tuesday, May 29:
Painting Group, 9:30am, Parish Hall
Bible Study, 5:30pm
Mission House Meeting, 6:30pm
- Wednesday, May 30:
Closed Women’s Support Group, 4-7pm
Choir Rehearsal, 7:30pm
- Thursday, May 31:
Open Hearts Drop-in, 3:30-6:30pm
Bishop’s Committee Mutual Ministry Review, 6:15pm
- Friday, June 1:
Bible Study, 10am, Library
Movie Night, 6pm, Parish Hall
Joy of Living AA, Library, 8pm
- Altar flowers are given today by Grace and Jerry Brand in memory of their beloved parents, Alton and Betty Steinaway and Jim and Jessie Brand.
- Open Hearts Club, our youth drop-in center, is open Thursday afternoons from 3:30 to 6:30 pm. Snacks, ping-pong, games, and conversation. Open to Dexter youth 11years and older. Drop in and check it out!
- Mark your calendars for Movie Night at church Friday 1 June. We will watch Holes, a movie starring Sigourney Weaver and Jon Voight. It’s a delightful film, and our own Paul Curtis was the supervising dialogue editor. We’ll have to ask him exactly what that means, but before the Curtis family joined our congregation, Paul was in the movies, including The Count of Monte Cristo, Witches of East End, and The Fast and the Furious. Well, not exactly in the movies; he worked to do the sound in the movies. Join us for a fun evening of film and conversation with Paul about his work. A pizza dinner begins at 6:00 pm, with the movie starting at 6:30 pm.
- Join us for the Open Hearts Pride Picnic on Friday, June 8, 5:00 to 8:00 pm. Games, music, and other activities begin on the front lawn at 5pm. Wear colorful rainbow clothes, if you like, and join us for this time of fellowship hosted by the youth of the Open Hearts Club. Dinner is served around 5pm—grilled hot dogs (veggie option available), chips, and a beverage. As far as we know, this is the first Pride Event in Dexter
- Did you know that Thistle Farms is a business enterprise that manufactures, packages, distributes, markets, and sells natural home and body products? And that the whole enterprise is staffed by and for women survivors of trafficking? St. James now sells their products (as does Whole Foods), and our proceeds support Coffee and Conversation as well as the Thistle Farms program. Check out our new products downstairs in the Parish Hall. We have soy candles, bug spray, and mini body wash added to our inventory, as well as having replenished our existing stock. Checks can be made payable to St. James. See Shannon Verbal, Janice Weber, or Carol+ to make a purchase.
- The Bishop’s Committee is asking that all persons who have a key to the church make sure that Sally Messner has an accounting of your key. To make our space as safe and secure as possible, we need to know who has access to the building. If you were not at the congregational meeting a few weeks ago, and you have a key, please let Sally know. And, if you do not need your key, please return it.
- Faith In Action needs for May and June: Rice-a-Roni, Jelly (no grape), Boxed potatoes (no mashed), Canned pasta, Hamburger Helper meals, Pasta sauce (jars), Tuna, Refried beans, Salad dressing, Mandarin oranges, Ketchup, Diced tomatoes.
- Nursery Caregivers Needed: If you are interested in serving in the nursery on Sunday mornings and/or during special events, please be in touch with Mother Carol or Kathie Sandmaier. Nursery caregivers receive a modest hourly stipend and must be age 16 or older. They are required to agree to a background check and to complete a diocesan Safeguarding training.
- The Pastoral Care Committee meets once a month and assists Mother Carol in meeting the needs of our parish through communication, prayer, and care. The committee requests your ongoing help. If you are ever aware of someone who needs extra care, or if you yourself have a need, please communicate with one of the committee members. We are Grace Brand (734-426-3036), Sue Jacob (770-584-3252), Laurie Oehler (734-476-1477), Erin Peven (517-376-9053), Pete Schaberg (734-223-2998), and Alice Van Wambeke (734-769-8082). In addition, if you are hospitalized unexpectedly or planned, please call Mother Carol or one of us. The hospital will not contact us. Thanks for helping us care for our parish friends.