Servers for Sunday, January 21:
- Celebrant: The Rev. Carol A. Mader
- Organist: Alice Van Wambeke
- Acolyte: Wendy Arntson (January 28: Diane Dues)
- Reader: Pete Schaberg (January 28: Jerry Brand)
- Ushers: Janet Cook, David French (January 28: Jeanette Brooks, Julie Lowery)
- Altar Guild: Norma Amrhein, Sandra Hill, Deb Wilson (January 28: Julie Frost, Janet Tornow)
- Coffee Hour: Jackie Shock (January 28: Bishop’s Committee)
- Sunday, January 21:
Holy Eucharist, with nursery, 9:30am
Christian Formation for kids; Coffee hour
- Monday, January 22:
Overeaters Anonymous, Library, 6pm
- Tuesday, January 23:
Bible Study, 5pm, Library
Pastoral Care Committee Meeting, 6pm, Aubree’s
- Wednesday, January 24:
Closed Women’s Support Group, 4-7pm
Choir rehearsal, 7:30pm
- Thursday, January 25:
Men’s Lunch, 11:30am, Aubree’s
By-laws Meeting, 3pm, Library
- Friday, January 26:
Joy of Living AA, Library, 8pm
- On January 21, the Bishop’s Committee will host a congregational meeting during coffee hour to present the 2018 financial budget.
- Tuesday, January 23rd, 5:00 pm, continues an additional opportunity for Bible Study with Mother Carol facilitating. This six week series will have a thematic focus, on the social justice teachings of the scripture. What does the Bible have to say about some of the pressing issues of our time? Come and see! 5:00-6:00 pm, Tuesday, in the Library.
- Notice is hereby given that the annual Parish Meeting will be held on Sunday, January 28th, immediately following the 9:30 am worship service.
- It’s talent show time again! Yes, it’s that time of year again when St. James members strut their stuff for the annual Mardi Gras talent show. The date this year is Sunday, February 11th, which is less than a month away. Let us know if you need any musical or technical help with your act this year, and–start practicing. It’s always great fun!
- We need a coffee hour host for Sunday 4 February. Please contact Julie Lowery (Julie.firstname.lastname@example.org) or Sally Messner (email@example.com) if you can help.
- A group will be meeting in January to read and discuss Unclobber: Rethinking Our Misuse of the Bible on Homosexuality. The first meeting was Thursday 18 January. Contact Janet Cook or Ben Hollenbach if you are interested in joining.
- The Pastoral Care Committee is meeting Tuesday 23 January at 6:00 pm at Aubree’s. The committee meets once a month and assists Mother Carol in meeting the needs of our parish through communication, prayer, and care. The committee requests your ongoing help. If you are ever aware of someone who needs extra care, or if you yourself have a need, please communicate with one of the committee members. We are Grace Brand (734-426-3036), Sue Jacob (770-584-3252), Laurie Oehler (734-476-1477), Erin Peven (517-376-9053), Pete Schaberg (734-223-2998), and Alice Van Wambeke (734-769-8082). In addition, if you are hospitalized unexpectedly or planned, please call Mother Carol or one of us. The hospital will not contact us. Thanks for helping us care for our parish friends.
- The Washtenaw Reads program is featuring “Homecoming” by Yaa Gyasi. Free copies are offered at the Dexter Library to residents. The author will speak and sign books at Rackham Auditorium in Ann Arbor on 2/6/18 in the evening. “The book follows the parallel paths of two sisters and their descendants through eight generations: from the Gold Coast in Africa to the plantations of Mississippi, from the American Civil War to Jazz Age Harlem. Yaa Gyasi’s extraordinary novel illuminates slavery’s troubled legacy, both for those who were taken and those who stayed, and shows how the memory of captivity has been inscribed on the soul of our nation.”
- The young people of St. James are asking for your assistance with their In-gathering project. We are collecting aluminum “pop tops” for Ronald McDonald House in Ann Arbor. We are also collecting “box tops” that are specially marked for schools. They can be found on a wide variety of products. Bring them to any of the Atrium kids, and we will take care of the rest. Thank you!
- Faith In Action needs the following items this month: cake mix, pizza sauce, mandarin oranges, pineapple, peanut butter, chili beans, diced tomatoes, saltine crackers, manwich, Kleenex.